About Mayor McGee
Gene McGee was born and reared in Hickory, Mississippi, where he learned the values of hard work and perseverance from his parents. He developed a strong belief that hard work is honorable and that our opportunities are limited only by our ability to envision our goals.
A proud product of public schools, McGee moved to Ridgeland in 1971 where he started a successful career in insurance and estate planning. He attended East Central Community College and has a degree in Insurance Marketing from The Institute of Insurance in Washington, DC. McGee served as President of Jackson Association of Life Underwriters, and as Regional Vice President and Membership Chairman of Mississippi Association of Life Underwriters.
Always active in public and civic affairs, McGee ran for Alderman, City of Ridgeland in 1985 and won. In 1989, he ran for Mayor and defeated the incumbent. As Mayor, he brought his experience in business, and a proactive management style to City of Ridgeland to create a positive atmosphere that encouraged residential and commercial growth. McGee’s leadership has been the guiding force that has made City of Ridgeland a model that larger municipalities follow.
His guidance and business approach have been beneficial to the City’s growth in the past 24 years. McGee believes that planning for growth and sound, conservative financial management are paramount in positioning the City to maximize opportunities. Under his leadership, City of Ridgeland has created comprehensive plans, including the The City’s Master Plan that analyze trends and anticipate needs in a proactive manner. A benefit of such planning is evident by federal and state funds that the City has been able to secure, and the projects that have been completed without increasing taxes. Additionally, the City’s excellent financial standing allows financing of bonds at highly favorable rates.
City of Ridgeland provides wholesome, family-friendly programs and environments that include bike/walking trails that are enjoyed by citizens of Ridgeland and the surrounding areas, and the award-winning Freedom Ridge Park that hosts local, regional and national events. Evidence of McGee’s belief is the City’s financial investments that provide excellent services and safe facilities that promote activities through which families build strong relationships and create memories.
An active member of Mississippi Municipal League since 1985, McGee has held a number of offices, including two terms as President, and has served on the Board of Directors for 24 years. A Certified Municipal Official, he received the MML’s President’s Award for outstanding work, was a charter member of the Mentoring Program and has chaired and served on numerous committees. In 2003, he was chosen to serve on the National League of Cities’ Public Safety & Crime Prevention Steering Committee and now serves as Vice Chairman. McGee served the Mississippi Economic Council as a member of the Board of Directors and as Chairman of the County Merit Program.
A strong force for economic development and inter-jurisdictional cooperation, McGee is
- Past Chairman, Metro Mayors Commission,
- Past Member, Pearl River Valley Water Supply District Board of Directors, 1996-2006,
- Mississippi Urban Forest Council, Board President 2007-2008
- Mississippi State Personnel Board, Advisory Board of Mississippi Certified Public Manager Program, 2007-2008,
- Madison County Economic Development Foundation Strategic Planning Committee, Ad Hoc Committee, Infrastructure and Economic Development Committees, At-Large Member of Executive Committee,
- Madison County Economic Development Authority Advisory Board, Mississippi World Trade Center,
- Madison County Schools Business & Commerce Center Administrative Advisory Committee, Madison Central High School Advisory Committee of the Diversified Occupations Program,
- Madison County Wastewater Authority Vice President 2002-2003, President 2004-Present,
- Central Mississippi Planning and Development Board of Directors, representing Madison County Municipalities, STP Project Selection Committee (MPO),
- One-Stop Interagency Executive Council representing Mississippi Municipal League, appointed by Governor Fordice,
- State of Mississippi Department of Economic and Community Development Community Services Division Task Force for Five Year Consolidation Plan and MEC Taxation,
- Mississippi Fire Academy Advisory Board Member, 2004-2005,
- Metro-Jackson Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2001-2004 and Transportation Committee, 2004,
- Mississippi Republican Elected Officials Association, Past Treasurer
- Madison County Republican Executive Committee
- Mayoral Institute Seminar for All-Hazards Preparedness,
- Blue Ribbon Tax Commission, appointed by Governor Haley Barbour,
- Coordinating Council for Remote Sensing & Geographic Information Systems, Member,
- Past President, Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce,
- Past Member, Board of Directors of Madison County Chamber of Commerce.
Gene McGee and his wife, Jane, have been married since 1971. They have two children and seven grandchildren.